Monday, January 16, 2012

Classic venues!

I don't know about you, but I loved being able to score a poster for an awesome show. There are many elements to what would make a poster collectible (to me): the band lineup, the location, the artwork, or maybe something like the price ($6.66 comes to mind) or date (halloween show!). Being a bit of a pack rat I still have almost every poster I ever carefully rolled up and tucked in the pouch of my hoodie, and now that this little project is off the ground my collection has been justified! Here are some posters of some significance or other. Anyone at these?

Java Joint. What a place. Seems like a bit of a stretch to have an all ages punk venue in the heart of Walley on the King George Hwy, but it was actually pretty central. The owners were committed to growing with the popularity of the venue, eventually moving the "stage" from the front of house into a bigger back room, and even expanded on that. The value village across the street also made for some good entertainment if you showed up early and had time to kill. I rode by it yesterday and I think it's a Polish sausage shop now. Good times.

Not exactly Vancouver, but still west coast, and arguably the most classic punk venue on this side of the continent. The few times I was lucky enough to play there are some of my more memorable shows. A truly magical, disgusting, and awesome place to spend a night.

Ms. T's Cabaret. RIP to a truly amazing venue. A victim to one of Vancouver's many suspicious and unfortunate fires, Ms. T's was a long dark stage in the back bar to the right kinda place. Easy load in through the lane, shitty/simple sound, easy going management, located downtown, and classic as all hell. Vancouver dies a little bit more with every venue it loses.

Seylynn Hall. Got damn. If you went to punk shows in Vancouver in the 90's then you surely made the trek over the bridge to Phibbs Exchange to catch a show at Seylynn. This was THE meeting place for all the suburban punks. Remember when you used to go to shows to see all your friends?

Finally, the Submission Hold House. 2024 E 1st Ave. HQ of revered band Submission Hold, and over the years home to dozens of local movers and shakers, folks passing through with nothing but a backpack, and many a traveling band. A huge shout out to residents Holly, Jen, and Andy for keeping it real for so many years and offering everyone from suburban brats to Modest Mouse a place to be themselves and do their thing.

3 comments:

  1. If my poor memory serves, the Blood Brothers van didn't make it across the border for the Seylynn show - Nick Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Java Joint is now a Japanese/Chinese/Mandarin restaurant with a Vietnamese name... Duong Son Quan. See a picture of it here: http://g.co/maps/2puue -- I can remember when Murray (owner of the Java Joint) asked me if I wanted to buy it from him - $20,000. If only I had the money or the desire at that point in my life. I loved it so much, but from the perspective of a spoiled musician, not realizing the value of these live venues. Amazing memories though. KB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hardly anyone was at the Modest Mouse show. Most people were in the backyard watching the dog chase things.

    ReplyDelete