Sunday, January 8, 2012

I think we need to patch things up.

I used to be really into patches and belt buckles and bracelets. These days, not so much. As I dig deeper into the archives I find more and more hilarious accessories. I think it might help me to understand and appreciate the fashion choices that the youth of today make. Maybe. Anyways. Here's some patches I dug up.

Bouncing Souls huh? I seem to recall seeing them at the Town Pump? I also know I had and quite enjoyed an album of theirs, although I can't remember which one, and the last time I opened the case the cd wasn't there. Oh well. Doesn't look like this one was ever sewed on, but it's message is fairly applicable to this day.

Local punk heroes, hand screened by the band of course. This one doesn't appear to have been sewed on either, but I do recall having a dbs patch on a sweatshirt at one point.

From New York, touring mates of dbs, which is how they were introduced to all of us in Vancouver. I remember them being fast, snotty, and uhh, political. Anyone know what that writing at the bottom says?

A long running zine out of the suburbs documenting all things pop punk. Produced by a trio of girls with a penchant for huge backpacks.

I have no idea who The Jocks are, but I seem to think they were from Calgary. I must have not known who they were at the time either as it doesn't appear to have ever been sewn on. I collect things.



Render Useless, one of the islands finest. I was definitely a fan, and footage of them will surface on here, I guarantee it. This one was obviously sewn on something. The imagery was an extra bonus for me.

What do you say about these turkeys? One of Vancouver's finest who still get love today. I just heard that a band from Australia is covering a song off their last release. This is another band who I can guarantee footage of. Old, hilarious, footage. That is all.

3 comments:

  1. AS i read this, i am even further aware of why we are friends. when i moved back i found my 2 shoebox collection of old punk/hardcore 7"s and a ziplock bag full of patches. plus two big envelopes of band stickers!

    i gave my large zine collection away when i moved to canada... that had some serious local/domestic gems in it. whats been funny is that through cycling I've now met a bunch of people i would have seen at shows 15years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah - find out who the aussie band is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the jocks were a fantastic short-lived band from the bay area. they had two releases on new disorder and at least one tape on SMATH. high school kids, they began sounding a lot like F.Y.P, then kind of an amazing mix between plan-it-x and slayer. i was pen pals with one of them in the early 2000s, used to see another one around when i lived in portland.

    ReplyDelete