Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pretty close to the beginning...

In grade 12 I took photography 11. I wasn't that good at it, but I did manage to catch a few special moments. Here we have Vancouver hardcore band Reserve 34 rehearsing in their bass player Jarod's basement. I believe I took these in the spring of 1997. Many weekends were spent out there on 16th Ave near UBC. Reserve would often have rehearsal scheduled for after school till dinner, and by 7 most of us would have arrived from our various corners of the lower mainland. The usual teen age punk rock shenanigans would ensue, which included hopeful trips to the liquor store, rowdy bus rides to an all ages show, wrestling in the front yard, and learning how to smoke. No one really knew where Jarod's parents ever were, but that didn't matter. We had a HQ and that's all that mattered.

Lead singer Matt Smith. Note the low ceiling and obligatory wife beater.


Jarod and his wood grain fade Samick. Oddly enough there was another local punk band who's bass player also had one of these. Jazz basses weren't cool (again) yet. Note the wall covered in show posters.


Sky with his Mann SG, which once got accidently stolen by the band Strung Out (someone correct me if I'm wrong there) during a loading out mishap at Seylynn Hall. Note the sound proofing in the window behind him. Total suburban jam space.


2 comments:

  1. I believe the dudes from StraightFaced permanently "borrowed" Sky's guitar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Straightfaced, not Strung Out. My bad, cap.

    ReplyDelete